High humidity in your home can cause mold and make your air unhealthy. The term humidity refers to the amount of water vapor in the air. Humidity can be uncomfortable and unhealthy when it is too high.
Excessive humidity contributes to mold growth. When mold accumulates over time you can often visibly see it. Hidden mold issues can still negatively impact your health. Mold is a fungus which grows in certain humid environments. Warm humidity creates an environment that mold grows well in. There are different types of mold, but all release mold spores which can become airborne. These spores can damage your lungs, sometimes permanently.
Unhealthy Mold can grow when there is more than 50% humidity. Lowering the relative humidity in your home can help keep mold from growing. A Dehumidifier will reduce the humidity in your home by actually removing the water vapor. This can be very beneficial especially when you have a particular space with high humidity like a basement.
Lower Your Humidity
Reducing humidity can help reduce mold growth. There are other things to consider when trying to lower humidity in your home such as:
- Windows should close properly and not allow air and moisture in.If your doors are not sealed properly they will allow air and moisture in.
- Make sure seals are in tact.
- Look for and repair any leaks in pipes, around appliances like your refrigerator, around sinks and toilets.
- Check to see that your home is properly insulated.
- See that all rooms in your house are well ventilated and circulate the air.
- Avoid carpeting in restrooms and basements since carpeting can attract and hold moisture.
- Remove wet or damp materials.
A home may experience higher humidity during certain times of the year. Even during the day as the humidity outdoors changes so can the humidity inside your home.
Dehumidifiers are often a good choice for reducing the humidity in your home. Air Doctor Heating and Air can help with options for your specific needs and conditions.